Our Parish Church
St Charles Borromeo
12 Jarrat Street
HULL. HU1 3HB
Tel: 01482 329100
Clergy: Fr James Benfield
Holy Mass is offered at these times:
- Sunday – 10.00 am & 6.30 pm
- Tues-Sat – 12.10 pm
St Charles Borromeo is a parish in the Catholic Diocese of Middlesbrough and is the oldest post-reformation Catholic Church in the city of Hull. The church is a Grade 1 listed building having been upgraded from a Grade 2 in March 2016.
Around 1774, Fr Charles Howard came from Marton to serve the small number of Catholics in Hull. In 1779 a chapel was established in Posterngate but it was destroyed in the Gordon Riots of 1780.
Following the loss of the chapel, Catholics were forced to meet in private until in 1798 when Fr Pierre Foucher arrived in Hull, fleeing the French Revolution. He was a wealthy man, possibly an aristocrat. He paid for a small chapel in North Street to be built from his own funds. He returned to France in 1820.
Fr John Smith was appointed to replace Fr Foucher. He obtained a site in Jarratt Street and began the construction of the present church. The church opened on 29 July 1829. The building of the church was begun by the architect John Earle (1778–1863). It was remodelled soon afterward by JJ Scoles.
In later years the aisles were added and the present decor seen in the church was undertaken in 1899 under the stewardship of Canon Sullivan.
The parish provides Chaplaincy to Hull Royal Infirmary.